Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, March 18, 2011

Breastfeeding update and weight gain

Well, so I finally got the other posts up, have been working on them for days. Mostly had to sort through pictures.

The last few days are all blending together so I'll just try to give some basic updates.

Luc now weighs 7 pounds 12 ounces!  He has gained back the weight he lost in the hospital and one more ounce. This is according to the scale we have at the house which might not be super accurate but if it's in error it's on the low side because he weighed more on the pediatrician scale a day after we weighed him here, could be 3 ounce difference. He certainly looks like he's putting on weight with his round checks.  He's peeing and pooping like crazy so we think he's getting enough to eat.

We haven't used the pacifier much since we used it that first time.  He doesn't seem to need it.  The awake time at night seems to be more that he seems uncomfortable on his back at any incline after he eats.  He seems more alert at night so being uncomfortable keeps him up. During the day we put him down and he just sleeps and/or spits up but doesn't seem really bothered by it. At night, he makes 'ack' noises and then spits up and calms down when he's upright or on his tummy so I feed him then Nicolas spends an hour changing him and holding him upright and changing him again. Nicolas sleeps while I feed him and I sleep while Nicolas changes him and puts him to sleep.  We have to figure out something else because Nicolas will start working again soon and won't be able to stay up so long at night.

He stayed asleep all day today. There was even a feeding he only did 10 minutes and I couldn't get him to wake up for the other side at all.  So, not looking forward to not sleeping tonight.

Some of the soreness has gone from the breastfeeding but the latch is not perfect.  We still have some problems which we are trying to correct.  Breastfeeding is just a crazy time consuming difficult task.  It gets better every day but if I don't get enough sleep (meaning more than 4 hours a day total) I'm a crying mess.  So we are working on the night time schedule and taking naps.  It's funny, I just realized that the horrible pain of those first feedings is already beginning to fade from my memory. There is still a lot of pain the first few seconds but then it gets better and then when it starts to hurt again it seems he has emptied that side. We didn't end up sticking to one side per feeding unless he didn't want it. I had my first real leaking episode today since he didn't take anything from the left side at one feeding. We are laying down on the bed for the night time feedings. It was very uncomfortable to sit for long periods of time because my body was recovering from delivery so it was a nice break to be able to lay down.  We do the day time feedings in the glider in his room.

We have had a kind of schedule this week where I do the morning feed between 7:30 and 9 and then give Luc to Genevieve and Nicolas and I keep sleeping for a couple hours. Those extra couple hours have been great for keeping the sanity around here. Some of the pictures in the going home post are because Genevieve and Luc hang out and she takes pictures of him. She especially likes the little feet of Luc.

Physically, I am recovering from labor still.  I'm still sore and sneezing is not fun. I'm moving around a lot more though. Today I went to Walmart to get toilet paper and run some other quick errands. That made me feel like a person again. Plus today was just such a beautiful day, it was nice to get outside!  OK, little guy is ready to eat so I gotta go :)

No comments:

Post a Comment