Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The shock of June 30th

After 3 and a half years of trying to get pregnant, one miscarriage, one surgery, plenty of fertility drugs, and one very disappointing and depressing IVF cycle, I found out I was pregnant! I was sure that the result would be like all the others (negative ). I just like to take them when my period is late so I can stop worrying and wondering. You know, get the negative result out of the way. Well, it wasn't negative and I really was shocked.
Probably the biggest shock of my life. I just couldn't easily accept that it was true, that what we had been working on and trying for for so long actually had happened. When you try to get pregnant for that long you hear all kinds of stories about your friend's friend who adopted and then got pregnant and your husband's coworker that had the same thing happen and people say "when you least expect it" or "when you stop trying it will happen". You think oh, but the doctor said "trying to get pregnant naturally is going to be like hitting your head against a brick wall and gettng nowhere" for you, because of your issues.... well, we took a break from the IVF with plans to continue in 2011. It was just one of the hardest things I've ever done and I was not anxious to repeat it especially with the doctor saying it wouldn't work!
So, we took a break, but I worked pretty hard on some other things for myself. I changed how I was eating, I firmly believe this is connected with my underlying condition. My symptoms got better. I lost weight. My face broke out less. Changing how I eat was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I don't even stick to it very well now but I feel that my body had a chance to heal while I stayed away from certain foods and that moderation is definitely the key. Don't eat a certain type of food at every meal if your body is sensitive to it, or you have a condition that makes you sensitive to it!
I am very thankful to have a doctor who explains everything to me and works with me to make actual progress. They don't just look for things out of range, they work on optimizing everything and that has made the other difference for my health.

Now, I'm actually pregnant and so worried about keeping it. I had a miscarriage before, will it happen again? So I get in for the first ultrasound confirmation that I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment